Medical-Legal Editing Services
A well-written medical-legal (or medico-legal) report can help the court gain a clear clinical picture of an individual at the centre of a case. If you’ve ever been asked to provide your opinion as an expert witness for the court, you know how crucial it is to conduct a thorough assessment and produce a high-quality report. Your credibility as an expert witness and even as a healthcare professional can be affected by the quality of your written report.
What constitutes a quality medical-legal report?
The Canadian Medical Protective Association’s website has several helpful guidelines for expert witness reports. At the most basic level, a report that is helpful to the court is one that
- presents the history in a logical flow
- presents foundations for opinions in a persuasive and systematic manner
- explains complex medical and technical concepts in understandable terms
- is clearly worded
- is accurate in facts and details
- is consistent in style and mechanics
- is free of typos, and
- is well formatted.
How can hiring an editor help you to produce quality medical-legal reports?
Having a complete, accurate, and coherent report without distracting typos and inconsistencies will add weight to your opinion as an expert witness.
As your editor, here are some ways I could help:
- structural editing
- ensure history is in chronological order
- suggest graphics to explain complex concepts
- ensure visual hierarchy makes structure clear
- produce a table of contents
- stylistic editing
- reduce or explain technical jargon
- smooth out awkward phrasing
- edit for tone and level of formality
- tighten text by eliminating unnecessary words
- copy editing
- ensure grammar, punctuation, and spelling are accurate and consistent
- ensure consistency in editorial style
- ensure tables, charts, and other visual elements are presented consistently
- check pagination and figure and table numbering for accuracy
- analyze final draft for typos, inconsistencies, and formatting errors
Why hire me as your medical-legal report editor?
I have eight years’ experience in medical-legal editing, during which time I’ve edited, formatted, and proofread countless clinical psychological assessment reports, lengthy medical-legal reports (100+ pages), and file reviews.
I am familiar with the CMPA’s standards and guidelines for medical-legal reports as well as the Medical Legal Handbook for Physicians in Canada. You can see a list of my qualifications here.
I offer customizable, confidential, and secure editing services.
Contact me at email@example.com for more information and to obtain a quote.